Friday 20 April 2012


Behind the right, lies another truth...

Imagine having lived your life on a basis or premise of a truth, then finding out one day that everything you ever believed in was wrong, completely a big monkey business! Have you ever thought about that? Would you be able to accept it and change your way of thinking?

     For me, it did come across my mind after I learn about Plato’s myth of the cave. Don’t be surprised because it’s quite surprising to me as well. It is undoubtedly a scary reality, but that is basically what I’ve learnt about allegory or parable. Allegory or parable is the symbolic expression of a deeper meaning through a story or scene acted out by human, animal, or mythical characters. It was originated apparently by Socrates however, his students Plato who relive it together with his own interpretations.
     Allegory is quite subjective. It is based on your own interpretation of the reality whether you want to believe it or not. If you believe it, there might be possibility that you are being conceived and blinded by your very own ignorance. However, if you didn’t believe it too, it will be a problem when you know about the truth and adapting to the truth itself is troublesome. You will be in dilemma and like a child, trying to learn again.
      At first I had a hard time relating the story of the Allegory and the Cave to our real life, but when I did it was kind of startling. It got me thinking about this important question, “who are the philosophers today (those who get out of the cave), that supposed to be the ones teaching the rest of us?” I don’t believe it’s neither the government, nor is it the makers of those documentaries. Maybe it’s a little bit of both. And since I’m not exactly sure who to believe, I’m probably going to go with “the shadows” I have in front of me. I’m sure Plato wouldn’t be happy with my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment